Thursday, April 16, 2015

View from the Plaza Prayer Station - Would You Like a Cookie?

I got to spend time with a theatre major today.  She came by shortly after I arrived at the prayer station and asked me if I would like a banana or a cookie.  She said she always sees me sitting there and thought I might be hungry.  As I had brought a banana with me, I declined the one she offered, but the answer to "Would you like a cookie?" is always yes.  Yes.  I would like a cookie.  Yes.  White chocolate/cranberry.  Yum.  As a theatre major myself, it was especially cool to get to talk to her. 

The past couple of weeks at the Prayer Station have been slow.  Last week was cold and rainy, and I sat shivering in the DSU, irritated by the weather's refusal to cooperate.  The week before was Maundy Thursday, and it was a beautiful day, but I didn't have many visitors.  I think everyone has been slammed with end of term work, and I imagine they are all sequestered away somewhere studying. 

This week, however, the Plaza was filled with students.  Her Campus was doing an event that I couldn't quite figure out - something that involved taking pictures of people holding up large picture frames.  But the highlight was "Rent a Pi," a fundraiser for Pi Lambda Phi in which they were renting out the fraternity brothers, auction-style.  They had a microphone and a stage and were renting themselves out to clean rooms, cook meals, run errands, teach piano/guitar.  Most of them went for betwen $5-$10 but one went for $20.  It seemed like they were raising a lot more money than the more traditional bake sales, though I think sometimes the brothers were renting each other.  Silly fun. 

At one point I looked up and saw that I was surrounded by students, different groups represented.  We're planning a labyrinth walk for tonight, and some of my skateboard dudes are very interested in it.  They had come up to find out more about it.  I was glad of so much activity at the station today - it had been a little lonely lately.  I also got pulled into a discussion about campus ministries in the Admission office - a prospective student wanted to know about the offerings.  I was glad to help.  The parents had seen my sign outside.  I had a few prayer requests today and some good conversation.  A chaperone for a high school band trip sat down and talked for awhile about addiction and recovery.  Sometimes it's interesting to see how my jobs intersect.  I was grateful for the beautiful weather, though the wind nearly knocked the sign down again.  I'm hoping the labyrinth won't blow away tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment