Sunday, May 4, 2014

Forgiveness Challenge - Day 1


I've already written a bit about the Tutu 30-day Global Forgiveness Challenge, but I've also decided to blog about it as I go through it.  I'm hoping that this will be a way to keep myself accountable to the process.  It is a habit of mine to get all excited about a project or idea at the beginning but not follow all the way through to the end.  So I'm making this agreement with myself and with anyone who reads this - I commit to the 30-day challenge, to spending 15 minutes a day reading and doing the exercises, and I commit to being open to whatever learning, change, or growth may occur as a result of taking this challenge.

Today was day one.  Just watching Desmond Tutu on the short video makes me smile.  How anyone who has seen the things that he has seen can be filled with so much joy is a miracle to me.  I remember hearing him speak at Sewanee when I was in college and being blown away by his infectious laughter and his amazing spirit.  Words fail me, but he is the most ALIVE person I have ever met.  I am grateful for this opportunity to learn from him.

Today we are asked to write down what we hope to get from the forgiveness challenge.  There are a few people in my life whom I have not fully forgiven, one of whom is no longer alive, and I would like to work through the process of letting go of any remaining hurt, anger, and pain.  I would also like to learn a process for forgiving myself not only for the big things I've done wrong, but also for the every day mistakes I've made or hurts I've caused.  Self-forgiveness does not come easily to me, and I think my life would be much better if it did.  I also hope to learn some concrete practices that I can use myself and share with others.

Thanks to those of you who will join me on this journey.  If you want to take the challenge, you can find it at www.forgivenesschallenge.com.  

"Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us."

No comments:

Post a Comment