Thursday, March 19, 2015

Soundtrack from the Plaza Prayer Station - Throwback Thursday


From the moment I arrived at the prayer station today, I heard music.  Though it was not quite 50 degrees, I had dressed warmly and decided that I wanted to sit outside.  When I heard loud music coming from inside the DSU I was happy I wasn't trying to compete with the noise in the building.  It appeared to be a fraternity doing some sort of event.  It was chilly outside, but not unbearable.  I was a bit earlier than usual, and I had located one of my rosaries, so I sat for awhile and just prayed.  I haven't done much focused prayer at the station in recent weeks.  I'm just so easily distracted.  But no one was talking to me, so I spent time in prayer, enjoying the physical focus of the rosary.  A kind woman came over and asked if I wanted some hot cocoa and then brought me some from the dining hall - hit the spot and warmed me up.  I spent some time with a couple of the Canterbury students who dropped by for a chat.  Through it all, every time the doors of the DSU opened, I kept hearing the music. It was kind of like we had a soundtrack for the day.  I got especially excited when I heard Men Without Hats singing "The Safety Dance." That's from MY college days!  I started chair dancing.

After about the first hour, I began to receive more prayer requests than I have all semester.  I got to PRAY!  I prayed for people who had died and people who were sick.  I prayed for healing for injuries, illness, and broken relationships.  I prayed for job interviews and struggling family members.  Some who came have known me awhile but had never asked for prayers.  Some were walking by, saw the sign, considered for a moment, and then headed over.  Several people came up to thank me for being there.  One young woman told me that just seeing me sit there each week brought her a sense of peace.  I gave blessings to several people and chatted with a few others who were just passing by.  I won't say that I had a line, but it was definitely a steady stream of people.

Eventually it was 1:30, the time when most students head off to class and the time when I take a break for a pit stop and some food.  When I went inside I thanked the guys for the great music.  We had heard Taylor Swift, A-ha, and a Celtic Rock group singing "Star of the County Down," and many more I can't remember now.  I kept tapping my feet and moving my shoulders in time to the beat.  I think the music made me more animated which may have been more inviting to the students.  Whatever the reason, I felt festive even though the weather was chilly and drab.  "The music is awesome!"  I told them.

After I ate, I heard Journey playing and decided to go ask the guys what the music was for.   They were so friendly.  They told me they were a fraternity, Pi Lambda Phi, and the event was about eliminating prejudice.  Sounded pretty awesome to me.  It was a fundraiser for them.  Donate $1 and they'll play your favorite song.  That's why there were so many different songs and artists.  They asked me to donate, so I did.  "Name your guilty song pleasure," one of them said.  All I could think of was a Facebook post this week by my seminary classmate, Les Carpenter, talking about "We built this city," by Jefferson Starship.  They found it and played it!

What I didn't realize is that part of the deal was that they would dance through the whole song.  Those guys were good sports!  As much as I like that song, I think they found an extended version of it because those guys danced for like 8 minutes.  Even I got tired of listening to it after that long.  I asked them if I could take pictures and they said yes.  Truly entertaining and fun.  I wish I'd had the nerve to get in the line and join in the dance. I wanted to be the dancing priest, and I did dance a bit on the side, but I couldn't quite find the courage to go out in the middle with them.  I admired their willingness to be silly and have fun for their cause. 

This was one of my most delightful days at the Plaza Prayer Station.  Meeting new people, lots of prayers, and always the underlying music.  Several of those who came for prayer asked me how they could pray for me.  It always takes me by surprise, though it is not a rare occurrence.  This time, though, I asked them to pray for the prayer station, "That those who need it will find it."  I think they must have started praying, because more people found it today than had in a long time.  Will you pray with us too?  That those who need the prayer station will find it and that the prayers will meet them in their need?  Thanks!  And if you need a smile tonight, put on your favorite 80's tune and think of the Pi Lambda Phi guys rockin' out!

No comments:

Post a Comment