Thursday, May 7, 2015

View from the Plaza Prayer Station: Last Day, First Year

The last day of the first year of the Plaza Prayer Station was bittersweet.  Mostly very sweet.  Just a little bit sad because I said good-bye to some of the seniors whom I have come to know during the past year.  I will miss them. 

It was a beautiful day at the Plaza, clear and bright and warm, spring green leaves coming out on the trees.  It was the last day of classes.  It was supposed to be the first day of exams, but the academic calendar had been extended to accommodate the classes that had been missed due to snow.  Everyone who came by was in a good mood. One of the skateboard dudes who I had hardly seen this semester came by and sat for awhile and we chatted about his plans for the future and really cool authors that we like, including Richard Rohr, Barbara Brown Taylor, and Walter Brueggeman.  While chatting with my young friend I got to meet a few new people.  It seems like he knows everyone!  I hope to hear really cool things from him in the future and wish him all the best as moves out into the world.

I said good-bye and gave hugs to several of the Canterbury students as well.  I will miss them this summer, too. 

It's the end of the first year of the Plaza Prayer Station.  It has far surpassed my expectations.  There are so many rich stories that I do not share here for privacy purposes, though sometimes I wish I could share them with you.  I have been amazed by the trust that complete strangers have put in me.  Faculty, students, and staff have all stopped by for prayers and conversation.  Some days were quiet and I simply prayed for the well being of the campus.  Other days were full of prayer requests and conversation.  My trusty sign has helped me overcome my natural shyness and introversion and allowed me to receive visitors to the station instead of having to seek people out.  I am grateful for the chance to start this ministry, and I look forward to it growing in the next school year.  Until then, I will keep CNU in my prayers, asking God to bless the campus and the community.  Traveling mercies to the seniors.  I hope we will meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment