Friday, March 27, 2015

View from the DSU Prayer Station - Taste of Diversity

Early this week I received an email telling me about the Taste of Diversity event that would be happening in the Plaza yesterday during lunch.  I looked forward to it all week.  The email advertised food, crafts, and musical performances from a variety of cultures planned by more than seven student clubs.  I was especially excited about the Scottish band.  Needless to say, I was disappointed as I watched the forecast and saw that the chance of rain was 100%.  It was finally warm enough to be out in the Plaza without wearing long johns, but the rain drove the prayer station and the Taste of Diversity into the DSU.  Bummer.  My spot inside was around the corner from where the event was taking place, so I couldn't see what was going on, but I still ought to have been able to hear the music.  Aside from some Calypso music that played for a bit, I didn't hear any music.  It was only later in the day that I learned that the food and entertainment portion had been moved upstairs to the Crow's Nest, so I missed it entirely.  Bummer again. 

Downstairs there were tables set up with information about Scotland, Belgium, Africa, and Spain.  The Asian Studies Department was there as were some students who would write your name in Arabic.  I was glad to see part of the event but sad that I didn't realize I needed to go upstairs to see the rest.  I did get to witness a student ritual that I never did figure out.  It appeared that members of a fraternity were just hanging out in the area in front of where I sit, but when a certain couple would come in, they would all rush over, form a circle around the two, and begin singing, "You've lost that loving feeling."  Except I think they said, "You've lost that Sigma feeling."  They did this to two different couples.  One of the women had what looked to be an engagement ring on her finger, so maybe this is the appropriate congratulations ritual.  But I really don't know what losing the "Sigma feeling" would have to do with that.  Armchair anthropologists - get to work!

Yesterday also marked the first day with my "Safe Zone" sign displayed at the prayer station.  Last week I finished the second half of Safe Zone training provided by CNU's new Assistant Director for Diversity Initiatives to educate faculty, staff, and student reps on issues facing the LGBTQ+ community at CNU and equipping them to be allies and provide resources.  Our first training was in the fall.  Upon completion of the training, each person receives a Safe Zone sign that can be placed on an office window or door.  Since I don't have an office at CNU, I'm placing mine on the Plaza Prayer Station sign.  It was fun to see some of the people who had taken the training with me.  They walked by and waved.

When I sat down yesterday I decided that I needed a ritual for how I begin my time at the prayer station.  Sometimes I remember to take an Anglican rosary with me, and sometimes I don't.  Sometimes I begin with prayer and sometimes I get caught up in the experience of watching students walk by that is not dissimilar to watching tv.  Several times I have begun with the Lord's Prayer, and that's what I decided would become my regular ritual.  I had only gotten as far as trespasses when a student came up and asked if she could sit down to tell me about her prayer request.  Several other students came for prayer yesterday who were very tentative, not sure of the "proper" way to access the prayer station.  After I had offered prayer for one young woman, she asked, "What's Episcopal?"  I began explaining and found myself wishing I had a 2-3 sentence explanation.  That's about all the time I get with them.  So, if you're reading this and you're Episcopal, what's your best 2-3 sentence (under a minute) explanation of the Episcopal Church for someone who has never heard of it?  I can do great with 20 minutes, but I need the super-abridged version!  Bonus points if you can do it without saying "We're like ______ except..." or "We're not like _______."

President Trible came by at one point and shook my hand and thanked me for my presence.  I told him that the ministry is a blessing to me, and it is.  I wish, though, that I'd had the presence of mind to say, "And how may I pray for you?"  I do pray for him each day at the station, but it would have been nice to have that conversation.  Ah well.  Next time. 

1 comment: