Monday, January 12, 2015

Blessing the Semester

Today we did a "Blessing of the Semester" service at CNU.  Again, I cannot take credit for the idea as it came from another campus minister at a conference two years ago.  Sadly I do not know whose idea it was, but I remember someone saying that he had done this on his campus and that it was cool and a lot of fun.  All I remember was that he said there were vestments and incense.  So I got together with St. Stephen's rector, the Rev. Scott Baker, who loves to create liturgies, and asked him if he wanted to help me create a liturgy to bless the semester at CNU.  With some help from the Book of Occasional Services service for blessing a home and reliance on his Baptist heritage of familiarity with scripture, Scott created a wonderful liturgy that we used today to celebrate the new semester.

We gathered on the chapel steps.  Scott's son served as crucifer, and our Canterbury president, Megan, was the thurifer.  Scott and I were in office dress (cassock, surplice, tippet, hood - thanks Ruth Meyers!) and Scott carried water and a branch for asperges while I carried a basket of bulletins and Episcopal Campus Ministry brochures.  The organist from St. Stephen's and one of the choir members showed up with handbells to keep us on pitch during our one hymn, "Earth and All Stars."  When we started there were 9 of us, and by the end we had added 5 more. One of my skateboard dudes from the prayer station came and brought some friends.  We processed from building to building, following the swinging smoke, stopping in front of each and praying.  We dipped the juniper branch into the water and sprinkled it at each stop, blessing each place.  We said a prayer at the Great Lawn and heard a lesson from the Wisdom of Solomon and then moved on to the academic buildings.  We even stopped under the bell tower and blessed it, too.  We ended on the steps of the chapel with a reading of the Beatitudes and the final verses of "Earth and All Stars."  The whole service lasted about a 1/2 hour.

Afterwards all the students hung out to talk.  I introduced Canterbury students to other students and got to meet a few new ones myself.  I know that some of those who joined us come from a more evangelical tradition, so I was glad they hung in there with our very formal Anglican liturgy and then stuck around to get to know us better. 

It was fun and I think it was meaningful.  We lucked out with a beautiful, if chilly, day.  One of the most meaningful moments for me was when one of the Canterbury students said how much she appreciated the service and how the campus felt different to her now.  Yay, liturgy.  Yay, God!

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my youth when on Rogation Day we marched around the church boundaries and I always associated it with growing things. Kind of fits with the blessings of spaces where minds are growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought of the service as sort of a cross between a house blessing and a Rogation Day Service. I love the image of blessing spaces where minds are growing. That's lovely.

      Delete