Sunday, January 5, 2014

On the 12th Day of Christmas

I sit all cozy in my living room staring at my beautiful Christmas tree.  It's all lit up with its beautiful white lights, and it smells so good because I've stopped watering it in anticipation of taking it down.  I see angels and nativities and Bob Cratchit and Leaf Man and shells and santas and colored balls and Raggedy Ann and Andy and Snoopy, and crosses and cross stiches, tea cups and tea pots, cats and moose and bears and the jester and the book fairy.  I love the ornaments and the tree and the sparkle it brings to my house.

I don't wanna take it down!

But tomorrow is Epiphany, and it's time.  Tomorrow is my day off, and there's time.  It just always makes me sad to take it down.  I have so enjoyed the past week.  Many of the things I've been working on, like sermons and planning and blogging and thank you notes, have allowed me to curl up under the afghan on my couch with the tree on and a cat curled up next to me.  It's been a sweet time, a restful time, and I know that part of my reluctance to take down the tree is my reluctance to move out of this in-between time and jump full swing into the new year/semester.  The calm before the whirlwind.

I don't wanna take it down!

We'll see what happens tomorrow.  The cats playing in the tree may convince me it's time as I'm tired of pulling them away from it.  But if I decide to leave it up a bit longer, please don't tell the liturgical police!

No comments:

Post a Comment